Smashed burgers by The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science (fry sauce was really good), beer by Gigantic Brewing, conversation suggested by Family Dinner Project, family video highlights include drone capturing snow in PDX and the trailer and ending song from Reel Rock 11 and family dance night sponsored by Dodo Delight and Wild Yaks – Paradise.
- Are You Load Balancing Wrong? – ACM Queue
Quote: "Anyone can use a load balancer. Using it properly is much more difficult. Some questions to ask: 1. Is this load balancer used to increase capacity (N+0) or to improve resiliency (N+1)? 2. How do you measure the capacity of each replica? How do you create benchmark input? How do you process the benchmark results to arrive at the threshold between good and bad? 3. Are you monitoring whether you are compliant with your N+M configuration? Are you alerting in a way that provides enough time …
(categories: ops loadbalancing capacity scaling resiliency )
- “Is This Helpful?” » Mike Industries
I read "Deep Work" a couple weeks ago and 2 days ago deleted by Twitter account. For me at least it was a suck of time. I’ve been trying to be really deliberate about focused time for reading and writing.
(categories: focus attention culture life )
- How I Got My Attention Back
Delete social media accounts off your phone, turn off notifications, don’t look at technology until lunch.
(categories: attention focus culture dopamine )
- DJ Patil on Twitter: "The card I’ve carried in my notebook #YesWeCan https://t.co/0XsDwdRWQw"
Dream in years, plan in months, evaluate in weeks, ship daily….
(categories: planning )
- Down and Out: Hiking the Grand Canyon with Children
I think I’m about 3 years away from being able to pull this off.
(categories: adventure kids grand-canyon travel )
- Why conventional wisdom is dangerous and crazy scenarios aren’t
Worthwhile models to have stored away, the notion of descriptive, normative wildcard and alternative scenarios is useful.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning qualitative-scenarios quantitative-scenarios )
- Scenario Approaches.pdf
More on scenario planning.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning )
- Going Serverless: AWS and Compelling Science Fiction
Interesting ways folks are using Lambda.
(categories: aws lambda microservices serverless amazon infrastructure )
- htop explained | peteris.rocks
A lovely example of someone doing deep work.
(categories: linux performance htop top tools sysadmin )
- Microservices: Rethinking the Way We Treat Data and Services | Confluent
- Serverless Workflows on AWS: My Journey From SWF to Step Functions – Forrest Brazeal
More real world lambda.
(categories: lamba aws amazon )
- Evolution of Microservices – Craft Conference
Loved the visualizations starting at slide 45.
(categories: microservices serverless architecture )
- How Google Is Challenging AWS – Stratechery by Ben Thompson
Really interesting strategic analysis of Google, AWS and Kubernetes.
(categories: aws google kubernetes containers docker portability platform strategy )
- Amazon Web Services CEO Andy Jassy ‘optimistic’ AWS will become a $100B business, but no spinoff plans – GeekWire
Quote: "… And the senior people don’t look for a reason to say “no” as we get bigger – they’re looking for ways to say “yes.” We don’t say yes to every idea; we rigorously assess each one. But we say yes a lot more often than others. And we’re not afraid to fail. If you’re innovating enough, you will have failures, and that’s OK, as long as the inputs into that issue were executed well. People go on to work on other interesting things."
(categories: amazon business management posture failure teams )
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud Pricing: Compute Instances
In-depth comparison of AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud pricing for compute instances including AWS reserved instances and Google SUD.
(categories: amazon aws azure gcp pricing cloud )
- Strife Blog: With rifle and bibliography: General Mattis on professional reading
(categories: reading books leadership military learning )
- Using AWS Lambda to call and text you when your servers are down
Could do this with Lambda scheduled tasks as well and cut out the Cloudwatch stuff.
(categories: cloudwatch lambda aws monitoring twilio devops amazon )
- Five Leadership Hacks – Rands in Repose
Feels like the start of a really good book that doesn’t exist yet.
(categories: leadership management meetings )
- Social Media Is Killing Discourse Because It’s Too Much Like TV
Quote: "Typography, as Postman describes, is in essence much more capable of communicating complex messages that provoke thinking. This means we should write and read more, link more often, and watch less television and fewer videos—and spend less time on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube."
(categories: internet media politics social twitter )