- Quote by Michael Crichton: "Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as…"
Wet streets cause rain.
(categories: news newspapers data research culture )
- The Freight Train That Is Android « abovethecrowd.com
One of Warren Buffet’s most famous quotes is that “In business, I look for economic castles protected by unbreachable ‘moats’.” An “economic castle” is a great business, and the “unbreachable moat” is the strategy or market dynamic that heightens the barriers-to-entry and makes it difficult or ideally impossible to compete with, or gain access to, the economic castle.
(categories: business strategy google android mobile )
- ORM is an anti-pattern | Seldo.Com Blog
- Why is my Mac slow? Top 10 DTrace Tune Up Tips for OS X « Joyeur
Really interesting stuff if you’re into performance tuning.
(categories: osx dtrace performance tuning optimization )
- A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs – NYTimes.com
Steve’s final words were: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.
(categories: steve-jobs apple inspiration )
- Startup U – Anil Dash
Have thought for a long time that Portland would benefit from having a world class / larger university like Boulder, Silicon Valley and Boston do… but then they also share a common trait of having a lot of money. Either way, interesting discussion.
(categories: education startups entrepreneurship school business cities )
- rc3.org – We need to be less stingy with praise and acknowledgement
Totally agree with this blog post. Quote: "The mechanisms of social software make it easier than ever. You can Favorite things on Twitter and on Flickr. There are Facebook Like buttons and Google +1 buttons everywhere. And of course, you can leave positive feedback in comments or just send someone an email telling them that you appreciate their work. For more on that, I’d recommend Anil Dash’s post All in Favor. In the real world giving people a nice comment is easy enough if you try."
(categories: culture business motivation people management )
- (1) Rip Rowan – Google+ – Stevey’s Google Platforms Rant I was at Amazon for about…
Yegge on platforms.
(categories: amazon google platform architecture )
- Geek’s Guide to Portland 2011 – Waxy.org
Great list of stuff to do in Portland. Tried to get into Tasty & Sons this morning, 45 minute wait. 🙁
(categories: food pdx portland )
- Send links instantly to any device – SendTab for iPhone, Chrome and Safari
Cool mobile / device app / integration.
(categories: browsers iphone tools devices ubicomp )
- Instagram Engineering • Sharding & IDs at Instagram
Instagram guys on scaling + Postgres
(categories: postgres instagram architecture scalability performance sharding )