- Temperament Matters
Quote: " If you were going to give someone some general advice on how to move up in a large organization you’d probably say something along the lines of: (1) be visible; (2) emphasize the aspects you’re good at; (3) make those in power feel good about themselves; (4) if you must point out a mistake by someone in power, blame the situation or others; and (5) shower those above with flattery." Do the opposite.
(categories: leadership temperament thinking courage management )
- How open-source software took over the world | TechCrunch
Open-source companies now worth billions of dollars (Mulesoft, RedHat, MongoDB, Elastic, Horton / Cloudera).
(categories: opensource business )
- Shane Parrish on Twitter: "Guaranteed prescriptions for misery: – Substance Abuse – Being unreliable – Resentment – Envy – Seeking vengeance – Inability to learn from the mistakes of others – Inability to handle failure What am I missing?"
Quote: "Guaranteed prescriptions for misery: – Substance Abuse – Being unreliable – Resentment – Envy – Seeking vengeance – Inability to learn from the mistakes of others – Inability to handle failure"
(categories: life )
- Shane Parrish on Twitter: "Things that reduce the odds of long-term success: + Saying yes to too many things. + Making excuses. + Staying up late. + Eating poorly. + Checking email first thing in the AM. + Working more to fix being busy. + Buying things y
Quote: "Things that reduce the odds of long-term success: + Saying yes to too many things. + Making excuses. + Staying up late. + Eating poorly. + Checking email first thing in the AM. + Working more to fix being busy. + Buying things you don’t have the money for. "
(categories: life )
- After 25 years studying innovation, here is what I have learned | LinkedIn
Quote: "When people who have a high need for achievement have an extra half hour of time or an extra ounce of energy, they often unconsciously allocate it to activities that yield the most tangible accomplishments. And our careers provide the most concrete evidence that we’re moving forward. You ship a product, finish a design, complete a presentation, close a sale, get paid or promoted. In contrast, investing time and energy in your relationship with your friends and family typically doesn’t of…
(categories: family life culture career leadership time focus )
- The Five Cognitive Distortions of People Who Get Stuff Done
"Automatic Thought Patterns aka Cognitive Distortions • Personal Exceptionalism • Dichotomous Thinking • Correct Overgeneralization • Blank-Canvas Thinking • Schumpeterianism"
(categories: productivity psychology success work business )
- THE KNOWLEDGE PROJECT #49
Quote: "He may be the emotional leader or the best player leader on the ice and in the locker room, but he’s beyond the leadership of decisionmaking, which I think as I learned in business, everything about leadership is decisionmaking."
(categories: fs leadership management )
- Technology Radar Vol. 2 – PorscheDev – Medium
Useful infographic for technology teams prioritizing techniques, platforms, languages / frameworks and tools.
(categories: radar tools porsche agile technology )
- GitHub – danluu/post-mortems: A collection of postmortems. Sorry for the delay in merging PRs!
A list of public post-mortems.
(categories: postmortem resilience complexity post-mortem )
- DeepLog: Anomaly Detection and Diagnosis from System Logs through Deep Learning
Quote: "Existing approaches that leverage system log data for anomaly detection can be broadly classi€ed into three groups: PCA based approaches over log message counters , invariant mining based methods to capture co-occurrence paŠerns between di‚erent log keys , and workƒow based methods to identify execution anomalies in program logic ƒows . Even though they are successful in certain scenarios, none of them is e‚ective as a universal anomaly detection method that is able to guard …
(categories: machinelearning logs anomaly-detection )
- Chicago Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky is learning to be a leader as he goes — NFL 2018
From the book (which I’m going to have to read) "Chop Wood, Carry Water", a quote: "True mental toughness is having a great attitude, giving your very, very best, treating people really, really well and having unconditional gratitude regardless of your circumstances."
(categories: life attitude )
- Steven Sinofsky on Twitter: "1/ Much analysis: Apple has long known it is missing the boat on providing low priced phones—strategic mistake to cede “low end” to Android. Or raised prices too much/soon. Then it must be an easy answer to just lower pr
- Introduction to modern network load balancing and proxying
Should totally be a book.
(categories: loadbalancing network networking proxy architecture load-balancing devops envoy )
Guesstimate uses Monte Carlo sampling to correctly estimate uncertain results.
(categories: statistics tools simulation estimation guesstimate probability math estimates )