- “Is This Helpful?” » Mike Industries
I read "Deep Work" a couple weeks ago and 2 days ago deleted by Twitter account. For me at least it was a suck of time. I’ve been trying to be really deliberate about focused time for reading and writing.
(categories: focus attention culture life )
- How I Got My Attention Back
Delete social media accounts off your phone, turn off notifications, don’t look at technology until lunch.
(categories: attention focus culture dopamine )
- DJ Patil on Twitter: "The card I’ve carried in my notebook #YesWeCan https://t.co/0XsDwdRWQw"
Dream in years, plan in months, evaluate in weeks, ship daily….
(categories: planning )
- Down and Out: Hiking the Grand Canyon with Children
I think I’m about 3 years away from being able to pull this off.
(categories: adventure kids grand-canyon travel )
- Why conventional wisdom is dangerous and crazy scenarios aren’t
Worthwhile models to have stored away, the notion of descriptive, normative wildcard and alternative scenarios is useful.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning qualitative-scenarios quantitative-scenarios )
- Scenario Approaches.pdf
More on scenario planning.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning )
- Going Serverless: AWS and Compelling Science Fiction
Interesting ways folks are using Lambda.
(categories: aws lambda microservices serverless amazon infrastructure )
- htop explained | peteris.rocks
A lovely example of someone doing deep work.
(categories: linux performance htop top tools sysadmin )
- Microservices: Rethinking the Way We Treat Data and Services | Confluent
- Serverless Workflows on AWS: My Journey From SWF to Step Functions – Forrest Brazeal
More real world lambda.
(categories: lamba aws amazon )
- Evolution of Microservices – Craft Conference
Loved the visualizations starting at slide 45.
(categories: microservices serverless architecture )
- How Google Is Challenging AWS – Stratechery by Ben Thompson
Really interesting strategic analysis of Google, AWS and Kubernetes.
(categories: aws google kubernetes containers docker portability platform strategy )
- Amazon Web Services CEO Andy Jassy ‘optimistic’ AWS will become a $100B business, but no spinoff plans – GeekWire
Quote: "… And the senior people don’t look for a reason to say “no” as we get bigger – they’re looking for ways to say “yes.” We don’t say yes to every idea; we rigorously assess each one. But we say yes a lot more often than others. And we’re not afraid to fail. If you’re innovating enough, you will have failures, and that’s OK, as long as the inputs into that issue were executed well. People go on to work on other interesting things."
(categories: amazon business management posture failure teams )
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud Pricing: Compute Instances
In-depth comparison of AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud pricing for compute instances including AWS reserved instances and Google SUD.
(categories: amazon aws azure gcp pricing cloud )
- Strife Blog: With rifle and bibliography: General Mattis on professional reading
(categories: reading books leadership military learning )
- Using AWS Lambda to call and text you when your servers are down
Could do this with Lambda scheduled tasks as well and cut out the Cloudwatch stuff.
(categories: cloudwatch lambda aws monitoring twilio devops amazon )
- Five Leadership Hacks – Rands in Repose
Feels like the start of a really good book that doesn’t exist yet.
(categories: leadership management meetings )
- Social Media Is Killing Discourse Because It’s Too Much Like TV
Quote: "Typography, as Postman describes, is in essence much more capable of communicating complex messages that provoke thinking. This means we should write and read more, link more often, and watch less television and fewer videos—and spend less time on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube."
(categories: internet media politics social twitter )
- The peculiar traits of great Amazon leaders: Frugal, innovative and body odor that doesn’t smell like perfume – GeekWire
Quote: "… internal meetings at Amazon start with everyone in the room spending up to 45 minutes reading in silence as they digest detailed documents known as narratives. We write our thoughts down because we expect leaders to dive deep, said Wilke. We like this because narratives yield a very clear understanding of the thoughts of the author, and also because all of the ideas that are normally preserved in the PowerPoint notes that the speaker has are actually preserved in the narrative for al…
(categories: leadership amazon learning management work business )
- How to be perfectly unhappy – The Oatmeal
Didn’t specifically say "uncomfortable" but I think a paraphrase of this comic could be "doing hard stuff, even uncomfortable stuff brings meaning and a full life"
(categories: happiness psychology oatmeal comic humor )
- The Real Success Story of Microservices Architectures – Software Blog
Quote: "The real success stories of a microservice architecture are about how organizations that embrace small, cross-functional teams that engage with a flat, self/peer-management structure, are able to scale and innovate at levels unheard of in traditional organizational structures and do it wildly successfully."
(categories: microservices teams devops conwayslaw communication )
- Microservice Trade-Offs
It’s not all rainbows and unicorns.
(categories: martinfowler microservices design )