- Touch Isolation: How Homophobia Has Robbed All Men Of Touch
Slightly off topic from what I usually bookmark but important to me personally since I’ve got 3 little dudes living at my house. Important to give big hugs and not shy away from contact with them.
(categories: boys friendship contact hugs touch culture )
- Hello reddit, I’m Doug Freeman, avid cyclist and COO of outdoor clothing company Patagonia. I head up all of our responsible materials sourcing and environmental activism efforts – ask me anything! | BestofAMA
Question / answer: "What’s a handy tip that saved you on multiple occasions? –> To be enthusiastic and really engaged in whatever you’re doing."
(categories: patagonia culture business values )
- How to stop sucking and be awesome instead
Another John Boyd OODA reference.
(categories: ooda productivity programming life speed )
- Sharing Our Engineering Ladder — RTR Dress Code
Great engineering career ladder, both for managers and IC’s.
(categories: engineering career hiring )
- Dan McKinley :: Choose Boring Technology
Fantastic blog post that discusses the trade offs between "use any tool you want!" and "you have to Java for everything!".
(categories: management programming technology architecture )
- (6) What are the best ways to prioritize a list of product features? – Quora
A couple of useful approaches for product managers when planning a set of features.
(categories: productmanagement planning strategy choices priorities product )
- Useful Mac — The Screenshot Spectacular
Love the built-in keyboard shortcuts on osx, couple additional options here I didn’t know about.
(categories: screenshots osx mac tools tips )
- An Engineer’s guide to Stock Options
For future reference.
(categories: finance startup options stock )
- motion and rest · Nick Sweeney
Quote: "The mobile internet is the internet of motion, defined by mapping and directions, activity tracking, travel schedules, GoPro, Passbook and Uber. We have been given GPS receivers and three-axis accelerometers and proximity sensors for our pockets and purses, and the things we build for them urge us to keep moving. They are optimised to tell us that we’re not where we want to be: miles from our destination, steps from our daily goal, seconds from our personal best, an immeasurable distance from our rose-gold aspirations. What, then, does the internet of rest look like?"
(categories: culture mobile time iot )
- Measuring user perceived latency | Foursquare Engineering Blog
How FS does performance measurements.
(categories: ios performance kafka foursquare engineering hive graphite )
- Sunshine Superman – Movie Trailers – iTunes
"If there are mountains let’s climb them. If there are buildings let’s jump off them."
(categories: quotes mountains adventure )
- Usable yet Useless: Why Every Business Needs Product Discovery · An A List Apart Article
Article by Rian (now at Jive) on how to figure out what products to build before you start building.
(categories: business priorities planning engineering strategy product-discovery )
- LukeW | On the Wrist…
An analysis of where a smart watch fits in.
(categories: design apple watch wrist attention time )
- Help Me Find Books for my 10-year-old – bookrecommendations | Ask MetaFilter
Great list if you happen to have a 10 year old boy that likes books.
(categories: books metafilter reading boys kids )
- Amelia’s First Time Watching Star Wars by Mark Van Der Hyde – Storehouse
(categories: star-wars movies kids traditions )
- The Secrets of Aging Cheese: A Tour of Murray’s Cheese Caves | Serious Eats
(categories: cheese food science )
- Alex Payne — Meditation and Performance
Quote: "We sit with our suffering, and in doing so we foster the empathy that lets us genuinely engage with the suffering of others."
(categories: mindset mindfulness focus people meditation empathy )
- Karl Ove Knausgaard travels through America
Quote:" In a system of mass production, the individual workers are replaceable and the products are identical. The identical cars are followed by identical gas stations, identical restaurants, identical motels and, as an extension of these, by identical TV screens, which hang everywhere in this country, broadcasting identical entertainment and identical dreams."
(categories: culture )
- How Technology is Tricking You Into Tipping More — Psychology of Stuff — Medium
Noticed this exact thing twice on my recent trip to the Bay Area, last cab I was in only gave tipping options at 20% and up.
(categories: interface habits behavior psychology )
- Bookcision: Export/Download Your Kindle Highlights
Installed, pretty handy.
(categories: amazon bookmarks bookmarklet chrome kindle tools )
- Mockups To Go – All Projects | myBalsamiq
Bunch of free Balsamiq templates if you’re into that kind of thing.
(categories: balsamiq design ui ux )
- Prioritizing and Planning within Heroku Postgres Craig Kerstiens
Helpful grid with axes for difficulty and impact: low difficulty, high impact are no-brainers, etc..
(categories: productmanagement planning decision-making )