- This company built one of the world’s most efficient warehouses by embracing chaos — Quartz
(categories: amazon organization robotics )
- How to Rands – Rands in Repose
This blog post and every other thing that Mr. Lopp writes should be required reading for new managers.
(categories: management leadership )
- Distributed Systems Reading List
- How to Run a Quarterly Product Strategy Meeting: A Board Meeting for Product
Quote: "The way I define the product leader’s job is to delight customers, in margin-enhancing, hard-to-copy ways." This and so many other good things about this blog post.
(categories: leadership meetings product strategy )
- Interviewing Product Managers – Product Management Insider – Medium
Good thinking about the process that should be in place when hiring more than a single product manager.
(categories: hiring productmanagement career people )
- 10 Laws of UX, digested | yozy//NET
- The hidden costs of serverless – Amiram Shachar – Medium
Quote: "… While it might be worthwhile to consider the various free tiers across providers, most of these free tiers don’t discuss those “hidden” costs — networking, API requests, and storage."
(categories: lambda aws serverless pricing )
- Rethinking Product Management: How to Get from Start-up to Scale-up | Organizational Physics by Lex Sisney
Quote: "… some symptoms of a Product Management breakdown will show up when there is one or more of these conditions: Poor coordination between sales, engineering, manufacturing, and marketing Haphazard quality in new product releases A struggle to translate customer needs into a delightful customer experience Growing revenues but little or no profits Finger-pointing and blame between departments Perpetually late product development A strong technical product but poor product marketing or vic…
(categories: product-management pm organization engineering )
- Spotify Squad framework — Part I – Product Management 101 – Medium
Quote: "… Loosely coupled, tightly aligned squads." Lately I’ve been seeing loosely coupled but not aligned.
(categories: development management spotify teams )
- What We Need in a VP of Product Management | – Rich Mironov’s Product Bytes
Quote: "At the executive level, decision-making can be about personalities, selective memory and emotional-tinged beliefs. So someone has to be the Chief Rationalist. It might be the VP Marketing, or the COO. Often, it’s the VP Product Management."
(categories: productmanagement decision-making thinking leadership )
- Leslie’s Law: When Small Meets Large, Small (Almost) Always Wins | First Round Review
Quote: "… When a sleek, small player enters the market, it does so by creating a low-friction, high-fit and finish product that is sold at a low price to a large market. These new products are sold to a portion of the market that cannot access the larger products due to the cost of entry (in dollars and complexity) and the cost of ownership."
(categories: competition startup strategy innovators-dilemma )
- The Arc of Company Life – and How to Prolong It | First Round Review
Operational vs. opportunistic leadership.
(categories: business strategy leadership )
- Customer Satisfaction at the Push of a Button | The New Yorker
Quote: "… It’s also reasonably certain that, no matter what you do for a living, becoming less aggravating to others while you’re on the job is likely to make you and your co-workers more contented as well. “At the end of the day, we all care about how we’re treated,” Theisen said."
(categories: customerservice feedback research happiness business )
- Containers Will Not Fix Your Broken Culture (and Other Hard Truths) – ACM Queue
Everything about this blog post.
(categories: containers development devops docker organization container programming )
- Slack is the opposite of organizational memory
Quote: "I took 4 months off in 2015 and when I rejoined the workforce in 2016 – distraction city. People were checking buzzing phones in meetings. Chat alerts were click-click-clicking all the time. There was no cultural support or even real understanding of the idea that you need to turn this stuff off to get any work done. I made this point to a PM and his response was ‘oh, you have ADD’." I don’t think it’s just Slack though… email, social, txt, facebook. Activity instead of results, comm…
(categories: culture work attention slack facebook )
- Ten Year’s Worth of Learnings About Pricing
This and many of pricing blog posts on his site are great.
(categories: pricing startups strategy economics business )
- ‘Never get high on your own supply’ – why social media bosses don’t use social media | Media | The Guardian
- How Amazon Rebuilt Itself Around Artificial Intelligence | WIRED
"How deep learning came to power Alexa, Amazon Web Services, and nearly every other division of the company."… wasn’t 2 people working as part of another team…
(categories: ai ml amazon )
- Why hiring the ‘best’ people produces the least creative results | Aeon Ideas
On diversity, team composition and hiring.
(categories: diversity management teams creativity hiring )
- With teen mental health deteriorating over five years, there’s a likely culprit
<blockquote>According to a new analysis, the number of US teens who felt "useless" and "joyless" grew 33 percent between 2010 and 2015, and there was a 23 percent increase in suicide attempts.</blockquote>
(categories: mobile phone depression culture attention child-development health )
- Why I left Google to join Grab – Steve Yegge – Medium
Quote: "Google has become 100% competitor-focused rather than customer focused. They’ve made a weak attempt to pivot from this, with their new internal slogan “Focus on the user and all else will follow.” But unfortunately it’s just lip service. It’s not that they don’t care. The problem is that their incentive structure isn’t aligned for focusing on their customers, so they wind up being too busy and it always gets deprioritized. A slogan isn’t good enough. It takes real effort to set aside tim…
(categories: google business strategy focus customerfocus )
- The hidden costs of serverless – A Cloud Guru
Detailed rundown of the costs associated with serverless, which over time will only get better.
(categories: aws serverless lambda cloud cost amazon )
- The Courage To Be Uncomfortable | LinkedIn
Being "uncomfortable" is something I strive for in life… walks in Central Park aren’t what I personally think of when I say that word but still.
(categories: uncomfortable life culture risk change )
- Deggit comments on Obama: Fox viewers ‘living on a different planet’ than NPR listeners
Quote: "He has what you could call **"waterbug speaking"** – he skims the surface of a topic but he never engages with it enough to get wet. For example…"
(categories: waterbug speaking conversation culture )