- Strife Blog: With rifle and bibliography: General Mattis on professional reading
(categories: reading books leadership military learning )
- Using AWS Lambda to call and text you when your servers are down
Could do this with Lambda scheduled tasks as well and cut out the Cloudwatch stuff.
(categories: cloudwatch lambda aws monitoring twilio devops amazon )
- Five Leadership Hacks – Rands in Repose
Feels like the start of a really good book that doesn’t exist yet.
(categories: leadership management meetings )
- Social Media Is Killing Discourse Because It’s Too Much Like TV
Quote: "Typography, as Postman describes, is in essence much more capable of communicating complex messages that provoke thinking. This means we should write and read more, link more often, and watch less television and fewer videos—and spend less time on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube."
(categories: internet media politics social twitter )
- The peculiar traits of great Amazon leaders: Frugal, innovative and body odor that doesn’t smell like perfume – GeekWire
Quote: "… internal meetings at Amazon start with everyone in the room spending up to 45 minutes reading in silence as they digest detailed documents known as narratives. We write our thoughts down because we expect leaders to dive deep, said Wilke. We like this because narratives yield a very clear understanding of the thoughts of the author, and also because all of the ideas that are normally preserved in the PowerPoint notes that the speaker has are actually preserved in the narrative for al…
(categories: leadership amazon learning management work business )
- How to be perfectly unhappy – The Oatmeal
Didn’t specifically say "uncomfortable" but I think a paraphrase of this comic could be "doing hard stuff, even uncomfortable stuff brings meaning and a full life"
(categories: happiness psychology oatmeal comic humor )
- The Real Success Story of Microservices Architectures – Software Blog
Quote: "The real success stories of a microservice architecture are about how organizations that embrace small, cross-functional teams that engage with a flat, self/peer-management structure, are able to scale and innovate at levels unheard of in traditional organizational structures and do it wildly successfully."
(categories: microservices teams devops conwayslaw communication )
- Microservice Trade-Offs
It’s not all rainbows and unicorns.
(categories: martinfowler microservices design )
- When a Child Thinks Life Is Unfair, Use Game Theory – The New York Times
Four fun strategies for settling some kinds of arguments with kids.
(categories: kids parenting game-theory )
- How Google is Remaking Itself as a “Machine Learning First” Company — Backchannel
So this is really a thing then.
(categories: machinelearning ai google ml )