- Davenetics* : Do What You’re Great At
Quote: Be the place I browse for news, search for news, share news, annotate news, IM news, SMS news, listen to and watch news, eat and drink news, shoot news into my veins, snort news off the tits of more news. News goddammit, news.
(categories: news yahoo strategy business )
- An Insurgency of Quality – Brightcove
Alan Cooper’s keynote at iXDA.
(categories: development engineering management alancooper interaction usability video )
- timoni.org – Notes On "An Insurgence Of Quality"
Best to market trumps first to market.
(categories: engineering entrepreneurship innovation business design )
- On A Scale of 1 to 5 – Boxes and Arrows: The design behind the design
Quote: "So, when we think about rating and reputation systems, the first question to ask is not, ‘Am I using stars, bananas, or chili peppers?’ but, ‘what risk is being managed?’"
(categories: reputation ranking ratings risk )
- massless.org: Four Firsts for Feeds
Good stuff in here from one of the original Google Reader guys. Two things: a) Attention data changes attention and b) the Reader Trends stuff was done by someone in their spare time.
(categories: googlereader feeds rss social attentionstream attention atom feed )
- scottberkun.com » Innovation by firing people
Quote: "Pure democracy is not the political system that will create the most change – it’s a system geared for stability, not for innovation." Great article on innovation.
(categories: business creativity innovation management democracy )
- J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencement : Harvard Magazine
Seneca: "As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters."
(categories: inspiration speech harvard commencement speeches failure imagination empathy )
- Did Darwin Skip Over Email? – Foundry Group
Thoughtful blog post on the opportunities that exist for companies to make email more useful.
(categories: email social communication socialnetworks socialsoftware smtp )
- Datawocky: How Google Measures Search Quality
Google "… employs armies of ‘raters’ who rate search results for randomly selected ‘panels’ of queries using different ranking algorithms."
(categories: google machinelearning quality search )
- MSFTextrememakeover: Eight Years of Wrongness
A *long* blog post about Microsoft underperforming. Props to Writer at the end.
(categories: business microsoft software strategy )