- Pretenders: Why mobile Web apps should stop trying to act like native apps « cvil.ly
More on browser vs. native wrt mobile.
(categories: apps mobile mobile-web )
- Practical Tips on Writing a Book from 23 Brilliant Authors | NeuroTribes
Quote in the context of writing a book for the first time: "First of all, I’ll have to throttle back my use of Twitter and Facebook to get this writing done (and I may never rev up my idle Quora account after all.) Secondly, scheduling intervals of regular exercise and renewal amid the hours of writing will be essential." True of anyone that’s going to get something substantial done IMHO.
(categories: books writing gtd focus culture twitter )
- Mail not allowing me to delete messages?! – MacRumors Forums
Uncheck "Store Deleted Messages on the Server". Made my Father’s Day!
(categories: mail mail.app bugs )
- ongoing by Tim Bray · “Web” vs. “Native”
More on the html web vs. native web.
(categories: mobile-web mobile android iphone ux )
- LinkedIn Hackday Video « Psychohistory
Fun video that does a great job illustrating some of the insides of the Linkedin engineering culture.
(categories: culture engineering hackathon linkedin )
- Wrigley Field is such a great experience, it doesn’t matter if the Chicago Cubs win – Grantland
Getting to go to my first Wrigley game this August, Cubs vs. Cardinals. Also, Grantland is good.
(categories: sports wrigley baseball grantland )
- All sizes | MailChimp Design Patterns | Flickr – Photo Sharing!
Title says it all.
(categories: design patterns ui ux )
- Towards Effective Corporate Communications: Let Your Engineers do the Talking – James Governor’s Monkchips
Quote: "A little trust goes a long way." So true. Also, humans.txt is super cool.
(categories: management culture trust communication engineering entrepreneurship )
- Humans TXT: We Are People, Not Machines.
(categories: standards programming html culture )
- size – IntelliJ Idea disable font increase/decrease on CMD+scroll – Stack Overflow
(categories: idea programming tips settings )
- ASCII by Jason Scott / FaceFacts
Quote on Facebook: "…It is like an ever-burning fire of our memories, gleefully growing as we toss endless amounts of information and self and knowledge into it, only to have it added to columns of advertiser-related facts we do not see and do not control and do not understand."
(categories: facebook history internet culture meaning )
- Tech Wizards of the Silicon Forest
Commenters tear the article apart.
(categories: jobs portland entrepreneurship startups )
- Mobile Apps: User Expectations define User Experience
Good stuff on native vs. web for mobile.
(categories: mobile android iphone mobile-web ux product-design )
- Dating with data – O’Reilly Radar
Quote: "The core difference is in the category of revealed preferences. Imagine if you had a video camera in every bar and you could observe every interaction between two people and see the success rate of that interaction. We essentially have that video camera on our site." The reason revealed preferences are so important is that they track real-world behavior — what people really want rather than what they say they want. "When you get 12 messages and you only reply to three of them, you are voting with your time," Yagan said. "Or when a guy is shorter than you, you don’t reply."
(categories: math bigdata revealed-preferences okcupid statistics )
- Bill Simmons welcomes his readers to the debut of Grantland – Grantland
Quote: "… With every launch, there comes a point when you grab everyone else’s hand, you hold on tight, and you jump. You’re never really ready." So true. And so stoked about this site.
(categories: sports bill-simmons grantland writing startups )
- Make No Little Plans
Quote: "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men’s blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. Think big."
(categories: advice inspiration quotes culture )