- The Rule of 40% For a Healthy SaaS Company – Feld Thoughts
Quote: "The 40% rule is that your growth rate + your profit should add up to 40%. So, if you are growing at 20%, you should be generating a profit of 20%. If you are growing at 40%, you should be generating a 0% profit. If you are growing at 50%, you can lose 10%. If you are doing better than the 40% rule, that’s awesome."
(categories: business growth saas revenue profit )
- 3 years on Google App Engine. An Epic Review.
Frozen in time review of GAE in 2017.
(categories: google-app-engine google gae )
- Everything is distributed – O’Reilly Media
Quote: "One thing we know from classic distributed computing theory is that distributed systems fail more often, and the failures often tend to be partial in nature. Such failures are not just harder to diagnose and predict; they’re likely to be not reproducible—a given third-party data feed goes down or you get screwed by a router in a town you’ve never even heard of before. You’re always fighting the intermittent failure, so is this a losing battle?"
(categories: distributed-architecture multi-tier distributed )
- The death of reading is threatening the soul – The Washington Post
Has been a goal of mine to read three books a month. I turned off Twitter but still am drawn like a moth to the flame.
(categories: reading culture focus attention )
- Quote by Warren Buffett: “Somebody once said that in looking for people t…”
Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don’t have the first, the other two will kill you. You think about it; it’s true. If you hire somebody without [integrity], you really want them to be dumb and lazy.
(categories: quotes life hiring management )
- GitHub – kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap: Roadmap to becoming a web developer in 2017
Great infographic illustrating the complexity of being a front end / back end / devops engineer in 2017.
(categories: career software complexity )
- SREcon 2016 Performance Checklists for SREs
Great presentation on performance debugging in 2017.
(categories: performance troubleshooting debugging netflix sre )
- The Calculus of Service Availability – ACM Queue
SLA’s, Google, math, microservices, distributed architectures and four 9’s.
(categories: devops google sre sla reliability )
- A Year of Google Maps & Apple Maps — Justin O’Beirne
Really detailed look at the evolution in Google Maps, fun read.
(categories: design google maps cartography mapping )
- Solving Imaginary Scaling Issues at Scale — as interpreted by @seldo
npm co-founder @seldo publishes an inspired list of chapter titles for the latest ORLY book
(categories: funny scaling performance )
- Web Developer Security Checklist – Simple Security
Great security checklist for web apps in 2017.
(categories: security web checklist bestpractices programming )
- Usage patterns and the economics of the public cloud | the morning paper
Thought provoking cloud pricing blog post.
(categories: pricing product-management cloud )