- Temperament Matters
Quote: " If you were going to give someone some general advice on how to move up in a large organization you’d probably say something along the lines of: (1) be visible; (2) emphasize the aspects you’re good at; (3) make those in power feel good about themselves; (4) if you must point out a mistake by someone in power, blame the situation or others; and (5) shower those above with flattery." Do the opposite.
(categories: leadership temperament thinking courage management )
- How open-source software took over the world | TechCrunch
Open-source companies now worth billions of dollars (Mulesoft, RedHat, MongoDB, Elastic, Horton / Cloudera).
(categories: opensource business )
- Shane Parrish on Twitter: "Guaranteed prescriptions for misery: – Substance Abuse – Being unreliable – Resentment – Envy – Seeking vengeance – Inability to learn from the mistakes of others – Inability to handle failure What am I missing?"
Quote: "Guaranteed prescriptions for misery: – Substance Abuse – Being unreliable – Resentment – Envy – Seeking vengeance – Inability to learn from the mistakes of others – Inability to handle failure"
(categories: life )
- Shane Parrish on Twitter: "Things that reduce the odds of long-term success: + Saying yes to too many things. + Making excuses. + Staying up late. + Eating poorly. + Checking email first thing in the AM. + Working more to fix being busy. + Buying things y
Quote: "Things that reduce the odds of long-term success: + Saying yes to too many things. + Making excuses. + Staying up late. + Eating poorly. + Checking email first thing in the AM. + Working more to fix being busy. + Buying things you don’t have the money for. "
(categories: life )
- After 25 years studying innovation, here is what I have learned | LinkedIn
Quote: "When people who have a high need for achievement have an extra half hour of time or an extra ounce of energy, they often unconsciously allocate it to activities that yield the most tangible accomplishments. And our careers provide the most concrete evidence that we’re moving forward. You ship a product, finish a design, complete a presentation, close a sale, get paid or promoted. In contrast, investing time and energy in your relationship with your friends and family typically doesn’t of…
(categories: family life culture career leadership time focus )
- The Five Cognitive Distortions of People Who Get Stuff Done
"Automatic Thought Patterns aka Cognitive Distortions • Personal Exceptionalism • Dichotomous Thinking • Correct Overgeneralization • Blank-Canvas Thinking • Schumpeterianism"
(categories: productivity psychology success work business )
- THE KNOWLEDGE PROJECT #49
Quote: "He may be the emotional leader or the best player leader on the ice and in the locker room, but he’s beyond the leadership of decisionmaking, which I think as I learned in business, everything about leadership is decisionmaking."
(categories: fs leadership management )
- Technology Radar Vol. 2 – PorscheDev – Medium
Useful infographic for technology teams prioritizing techniques, platforms, languages / frameworks and tools.
(categories: radar tools porsche agile technology )
- GitHub – danluu/post-mortems: A collection of postmortems. Sorry for the delay in merging PRs!
A list of public post-mortems.
(categories: postmortem resilience complexity post-mortem )
- DeepLog: Anomaly Detection and Diagnosis from System Logs through Deep Learning
Quote: "Existing approaches that leverage system log data for anomaly detection can be broadly classi€ed into three groups: PCA based approaches over log message counters , invariant mining based methods to capture co-occurrence paŠerns between di‚erent log keys , and workƒow based methods to identify execution anomalies in program logic ƒows . Even though they are successful in certain scenarios, none of them is e‚ective as a universal anomaly detection method that is able to guard …
(categories: machinelearning logs anomaly-detection )
- Chicago Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky is learning to be a leader as he goes — NFL 2018
From the book (which I’m going to have to read) "Chop Wood, Carry Water", a quote: "True mental toughness is having a great attitude, giving your very, very best, treating people really, really well and having unconditional gratitude regardless of your circumstances."
(categories: life attitude )
- Steven Sinofsky on Twitter: "1/ Much analysis: Apple has long known it is missing the boat on providing low priced phones—strategic mistake to cede “low end” to Android. Or raised prices too much/soon. Then it must be an easy answer to just lower pr
- Introduction to modern network load balancing and proxying
Should totally be a book.
(categories: loadbalancing network networking proxy architecture load-balancing devops envoy )
Guesstimate uses Monte Carlo sampling to correctly estimate uncertain results.
(categories: statistics tools simulation estimation guesstimate probability math estimates )
- The Stockdale Paradox
Quote: "What the optimists failed to do was confront the reality of their situation. They preferred the ostrich approach, sticking their heads in the sand and hoping for the difficulties to go away. That self-delusion might have made it easier on them in the short-term, but when they were eventually forced to face reality, it had become too much and they couldn’t handle it. Stockdale approached adversity with a very different mindset: he accepted the reality of his situation."
(categories: management innovators-dilemma truth optimism )
- Ask Dharmesh About The HubSpot Culture Code
So much great stuff… maniacal commitment to metrics / mission. SFTC. Share openly. Autonomy & ownership. Great people. Question everything. Life is short.
(categories: culture hubspot transparency life work management )
- The Curse of Culture – Stratechery by Ben Thompson
SO many good quotes out of this: "… culture is not something that begets success, rather, it is a product of it. As with most such things, culture is one of a company’s most powerful assets right until it isn’t: the same underlying assumptions that permit an organization to scale massively constrain the ability of that same organization to change direction." "… This is the power CEOs have. They cannot do all the work, and they cannot impact industry trends beyond their control. But they ca…
(categories: culture google business management leadership )
- Engineering Deadlines: How Engineers Benefit From Delivery Dates
Quote: "Deadlines help us stay focused, aligned and driven – and can be used to keep project scope in check"
(categories: roadmap dates deadlines software productmanagement )
- How Superhuman Built an Engine to Find Product/Market Fit | First Round Review
Quote: "In essence, it’s better to make something that a small number of people want a large amount, rather than a product that a large number of people want a small amount. In my view, the product/market fit engine process of narrowing the market massively optimizes for a product that a small number of people want a large amount."
(categories: startup product product-market-fit )
- Everyone is a designer. Get over it. – GV Library
Quote: "… Maybe that’s why so many designers are offended when non-designers do design work or get called “designers” by Jared and me. You can act offended if you want, but the reality is that other people are making design decisions with or without you. Embrace them . They don’t make your job less valuable. They don’t make your job title less meaningful."
(categories: design ux designthinking )
- Some notes on running new software in production – Julia Evans
Quote: "At 99.99%, it’s different. That’s 45 minutes / year of downtime, and if you find out about a serious issue for the first time in production it could easily take you 20 minutes or to revert the change. That’s half your uptime budget for the year!"
(categories: reliability envoy kubernetes deployment )
- Learn Git Branching
- The RED Method: How to Instrument Your Services | Grafana Labs Blog
RED (throughput, errors, response time) & the 4 Golden Signals (response time, throughput, errors, capacity).
(categories: monitoring red golden-signals operations performance )