Smashed burgers by The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science (fry sauce was really good), beer by Gigantic Brewing, conversation suggested by Family Dinner Project, family video highlights include drone capturing snow in PDX and the trailer and ending song from Reel Rock 11 and family dance night sponsored by Dodo Delight and Wild Yaks – Paradise.
- Are You Load Balancing Wrong? – ACM Queue
Quote: "Anyone can use a load balancer. Using it properly is much more difficult. Some questions to ask: 1. Is this load balancer used to increase capacity (N+0) or to improve resiliency (N+1)? 2. How do you measure the capacity of each replica? How do you create benchmark input? How do you process the benchmark results to arrive at the threshold between good and bad? 3. Are you monitoring whether you are compliant with your N+M configuration? Are you alerting in a way that provides enough time …
(categories: ops loadbalancing capacity scaling resiliency )
- “Is This Helpful?” » Mike Industries
I read "Deep Work" a couple weeks ago and 2 days ago deleted by Twitter account. For me at least it was a suck of time. I’ve been trying to be really deliberate about focused time for reading and writing.
(categories: focus attention culture life )
- How I Got My Attention Back
Delete social media accounts off your phone, turn off notifications, don’t look at technology until lunch.
(categories: attention focus culture dopamine )
- DJ Patil on Twitter: "The card I’ve carried in my notebook #YesWeCan https://t.co/0XsDwdRWQw"
Dream in years, plan in months, evaluate in weeks, ship daily….
(categories: planning )
- Down and Out: Hiking the Grand Canyon with Children
I think I’m about 3 years away from being able to pull this off.
(categories: adventure kids grand-canyon travel )
- Why conventional wisdom is dangerous and crazy scenarios aren’t
Worthwhile models to have stored away, the notion of descriptive, normative wildcard and alternative scenarios is useful.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning qualitative-scenarios quantitative-scenarios )
- Scenario Approaches.pdf
More on scenario planning.
(categories: strategy planning future scenario-planning )
- Going Serverless: AWS and Compelling Science Fiction
Interesting ways folks are using Lambda.
(categories: aws lambda microservices serverless amazon infrastructure )
- htop explained | peteris.rocks
A lovely example of someone doing deep work.
(categories: linux performance htop top tools sysadmin )
- Microservices: Rethinking the Way We Treat Data and Services | Confluent
- Serverless Workflows on AWS: My Journey From SWF to Step Functions – Forrest Brazeal
More real world lambda.
(categories: lamba aws amazon )
- Evolution of Microservices – Craft Conference
Loved the visualizations starting at slide 45.
(categories: microservices serverless architecture )
- How Google Is Challenging AWS – Stratechery by Ben Thompson
Really interesting strategic analysis of Google, AWS and Kubernetes.
(categories: aws google kubernetes containers docker portability platform strategy )