Modifying Memory Allocation on Tomcat 5.x on Windows

A search for ‘tomcat 5 outofmemory windows‘ returns about 2000 hits, not one of them shows you how can increase the amount of memory allocated to Tomcat via the Apache Tomcat Properties applet when running on Windows (some point to this Tomcat configuration document which seems to be a bit out of date). Start –> Programs –> Apache Tomcat 5.0 –> Configure Tomcat –> Java. The “Initial memory pool” corresponds to the JVM -Xms option (~ initial Java heap size), the “Maximum memory pool” corresponds to the JVM -Xmx option (~ maximum Java heap size) and the “Thread stack size” corresponds to the JVM -Xss option. The picture book follows:

tomcat_memory_properties.gif

You can read more about the non-standard options on java.sun.com.

This entry was posted in J2EE, Systems Administration. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Modifying Memory Allocation on Tomcat 5.x on Windows

1. Phil Wilson says:

Very interesting! FWIW, Tomcat 5.0.16 doesn’t have the “memory pool” text boxes, but of course I can still add the -Xms and -Xmx statements in the “Java Options” myself.

2. graham says:

You’re a life-saver. I normally only use Tomcat on *nix machines but I’ve had to take over a Windows server and trying to change this setting was driving me mad.

3. Muhammad Nadeem says:

It helped me too much. I have changed memory of my tomcat and got well results.

Thanks

4. Kees says:

And after almost 2 years, i find this article to. And it helps! Tnx.

5. Richard Brown says:

How do you add a -Xmn840m to the options? I can add aditional -XX parameters but the -X do not seem to work. Thanks Richard

6. Bhuvan says:

What exactly is that means…What is the advantage in doing so?
    What background process takes place?

7. Alejandro says:

Why I can’t set up maximun memory pool greater than 950MB? I’m working in Windows Server 2003. I think it is a limitation of Windows or any update of Windows.
    someone knows how to fix this in windows?

8. Purna says:

Can somebody give me –> CLI command –> to Change “Maximum Memory Pool” –> For Example : From 512MB to 1024MB